Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Chicken - New Rub

The rub: enough for 2 chickens
2 tablespoons onion powder
1 tablespoon white sugar
1 tablespoon paprika
1 teaspoon garlic powder
3 tablespoons of Italian Seasoning. Any kind will work as long as it has oregano in it.
1 teaspoon black pepper
1/8 teaspoon powdered cayenne pepper - go 1/4 if you want more heat.

First thing I do is mix some of the rub in with softened butter or actually in this case "I can't believe it's not butter". I then work my fingers under a few spots in the skin and then put the mixture in with my fingers and rub around. I try to get a little extra in there.

Then, baste on some olive oil onto the skin and then a nice coating of the rub. Then, onto the smoker at 225 until the breast is 170 and thighs are 180. I smoked this bird to cherry wood and it was outstanding.





My new Guru Digiq2. This actually has a fan hooked up to the box and monitors the pit temps and keeps them right where I tell it.










No comments: