Sunday, December 7, 2008

Smoked Chicken

Well, yesterday was my first attempt at chicken on the smoker. I can only say that all in attendance said it was the best chicken they ever had. It was so juicy that the breast itself was like having clear gravy on it...so moist!


First I spatchcocked the chicken. You can google it or watch a quick video on youtube but it is a way of cutting the chicken in half.


I put each chicken in a brine of 1 gallon water mixed with 3/4 cup kosher salt and 1/4-1/2 cut of brown sugar. I used a 1gallon water jug and then shook until it was all dissolved. I then added 1 tablespoon black pepper and 2 tablespoons of paprika. I brined each chicken seperately for 10 hours.



I pulled them out of the brine, rinsed under cold water twice for 30 seconds each and then pat dried.




I used Bad Byron's Butt Rub. You can get it at buttrub.com I mixed it with softened butter. I rubbed this under the skin as much as I could.



Rubbed both sides with olive oil and put the rub all over it. Back into the fridge for 2 hours. I put on the smoker and dusted with more rub to cover bare spots.







I smoked it for roughly an hour and 45 minutes and then put on the gas grill on high heat to crisp up the skin.




No comments: